Published by

Behind Morsi Ousting

Published on 15 December 2013, by M. Tomazy.
Muslim Brothers reached the power through free elections in Egypt, despite strong opposition. In percentile language, The Islamist president had 51.7 % while the other Mubarakist candidate had 48.3%.

The other secular parties supported Morsi in elections to drop-down Ahmad Shafeq, one of toppled regime figures.

Army leaders were worry because Mubarak kept wide-spectral privileges for them.

Magdi Abdelhadi says: "The resort is complete with a hotel and other facilities, including an impressive five-lane motorway, a flyover and a tunnel to ease potential traffic congestion on the way to a vast new suburb called "New Cairo", where the rich and powerful, including members of the ruling military council (Scaf), have luxurious villas."    ... he Adds:  "The majority of Egypt's regional governors are retired army officers.
Many of the big civilian institutions and public sector corporations are run by former generals.
The country's three main land-developing authorities (agricultural, urban and tourism) are headed by former military officers who, in addition to their pensions, receive lucrative salaries and perks associated with their civilian jobs."

Mike Head  wrote: "Among the range of products sold by military companies are medical equipment, laptops, televisions, sewing machines, refrigerators, butane gas bottles and Egypt’s best-known bottled water brand, Safi. The military businesses do not pay taxes and are immune from government regulation.
The generals also control swathes of public land, which is increasingly being converted into gated communities and resorts for the benefit of the military caste, as well as the rest of Egypt’s obscenely wealthy business elite. Among the resorts is one on the Red Sea at Sharm el-Sheikh, where Mubarak reportedly fled to one of his seaside palaces. Extravagant and well-watered golf courses have become notorious in a country where millions of people have no access to running water."

This Ministry [ Defense Ministry] supervises 16 military factories, of which 14 are producing both civilian goods and military products.

The civilian products produced in these factories include:

"medical and diagnostic equipment; domestic appliances; fire extinguishers; machine shop equipment including lathes, drills, grinders, generating and welding sets; electric motors; television receivers; computers; batteries; electric and water meters; electronic meters; agricultural machinery; kitchen equipment; water purifiers; printed circuit boards; laser alignment instruments; calibration equipment; passenger cars; single engine aircraft for training and transportation; fire-fighting vehicles; microscopes and binoculars; incinerators; and medical diagnostic equipment."

Apparently, Egypt's Generals considered the new regime as threat and they will lose their personal privileges especially after retirement.